Monday, February 18, 2013

Lesson Learned

Let me warn you....this blog post is not for the weak, the timid, the so-so friend. Proceed with caution.

This morning's Word struck some painful notes on my heart. My prayer for myself is that my heart be convicted rather than point fingers as to how I was let down.

After Satan attacked Job's family, fortune, and health, word spread quickly to 3 of his friends. And Job 2:12 says they each came from their place to be with them. Verse 13 says that they mourned over him, with him, sat on the ground with him for 7 days and nights in silence as he grieved. My commentary said these were not fair weather friends. Later I will read that even though their advice was not always sound, they still had their friend's best interest at heart.

It makes me wonder if these "friends" were actually family to some degree. Today makes SEVEN incredibly long, pain-filled months. Most of the world has returned to their normal. I have a few friends who have suffered on their own path as I have this past year. One thing we agree to is there is no normal. Life as we knew it is history, and we must continue down a path that is cloudy. The only thing to guide us is faith.

Family and a handful of friends have been the constant. One person in particular, stuck out to me after I returned home, returned to my new normal. She sat me down, let me talk a bit, then she said, "Tell me how to minister to you, because I want to help. Just tell me how." Another couple just came to my dad's house as we scrambled to make funeral arrangements and other details. They remained in the background. They hugged us, prayed over us, cleaned after us, organized what little bit we had left. You all know who you are.

Let me say that prayer alone has sustained me. It's helped me to be faithful in times that I just wanted to shake my fists at the Lord for the hurt I had. It's shown me God's Way and how Sovereign He is, how His path is not just better, it is best.

Let me also say that while sentiments are nice, flowers, cards, etc.... none of that has made the impact on my bleeding heart like the fellowship of friends that mourned with me, that have walked with me for the last 7 months.

That being said, Please, Lord, let this be a lesson to me that when trouble comes, convict my heart to stop, stay, and be silent. Just sit with my sister/brother and mourn with them. Talk when they need to talk. Be silent when silence is requested. Pray without ceasing for comfort and peace beyond all understanding. To bypass the "I'm sorry" and "if there's anything I can do." There is always something to do! Please forgive me as I have let my faith family down in their times of great need and sadness. Thank You for this example and of the Ultimate Example. Thank You for Your sufficient amount of grace. Thank You for never leaving my side....for just sitting in silence with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment