Monday, March 18, 2013

Pride goes before the fall

Yesterday was a hard day. It wasn't a difficult as the weeks that led up to it, but it was still a hard day. Wrestling with God is not something I desire. Maybe I should.
My heart aches in the midst of uncertainty. But that just shows you my own spiritual maturity. My faith waivers daily.
I've been studying quite a bit in Job. It's what my mom left me with two days before she died. But today, my study led me to find hope in Joseph's life. He was Jacob's next to youngest son. Jacob was much older when Joseph was born and because of this, Jacob loved him more than his brothers.
Joseph was given dreams. They were hard dreams to interpret so he spilled his guts to his family, family that didn't understand and for the most part, were too prideful to want to understand. And here is where my pen met the paper.

Pride is ugly. It makes you jealous and incredibly angry. It robs you of all joy and insight. It blinds you of the truth.

In Genesis 37, when Joseph tells his family of the dreams he had, he wanted clarity. He depended upon his family for help, for vision. But even his father, Jacob, gave a knee-jerk reaction. Rather than having Joseph's best interests at heart, they had their own agendas. "You honestly think we will bow down to you??"
I imagine the young 17 year old boy in shock....."um, no sir, I don't have a clue!!"

While his brothers sat and stewed on this "news," Jacob gives us a glimmer of spiritual maturity and true parenthood. Verse 11 says he kept the saying in his mind. He tucked it away for another day, for his future, for his son's future. He believed in Joseph's purpose and knew that it was The Lord speaking to him through dreams and ultimately guiding his future.

It's easy to react quickly to bad news or news that disrupts our world. But if we hide that news in our hearts (minds) and it shows its self again in the future, we can be prepared, not scared or threatened.

We are seasoned. We can lead by example. Not all change is bad. Just look at the blessing Joseph was to his family in the future.

Persevere......Be the Blessing....

No comments:

Post a Comment