Thursday, March 14, 2013

Today's a "Hey Lady" day

I remember this phrase rearing it's ugly head over and over. I have fond memories of walking into U-Save (the now Kroger) or Save-a-Lot in Whitley, and she would look over her shoulder and say, "It's a Hey Lady day, ok?"
Surely little ole me could never have disappointed her. My sheer appearance or general ambience was usually pleasing. I mean, who doesn't enjoy the teenage eye roll, the clothes that parents just don't understand, the attitude that accompanies the "no" that was just received.
Allow me to define the "Hey Lady Day." It appeared for a number of reasons. No shower, hair a wreck, stupidity, attitude, ALL IN PUBLIC....
Sometimes "Hey Lady" days were more comical than corrective. Like when she used it as reverse psychology. Or when we claimed the "Hey Lady" before she got a chance.

I wonder if God has "Hey Lady" days with me. What am I saying?? The real question is when does He not? When do I act in such a manner that my Father is not ashamed of me? My self-control fails me. My flesh is weak. I am a mess.

Thank goodness for grace. His sufficient grace. It bathes me, it cleans up my attitude, it keeps me humble.

And just so you know, Mom, I got my ratty hair cut and colored yesterday. So maybe my appearance is not as embarrassing. My children, on the other hand.....well, I fear I'm reaping what I sewed....

No comments:

Post a Comment